The Farrani Corps
All characters are considered Hermetic magi for purposes of character creation.
The following modifications apply to the chart on page 29 titled “Detailed Character Creation Summary.”
1. Pick a Concept: Skip this step. Characters are 15 to 16 years of age, with no memory of life prior to joining the Farrani Corps.
2. Hermetic Magi Only: Choose one of the five schools of magical training available to player characters. Apprentices are assigned a school based upon their personality and aptitudes. (See below for details.)
5. Early Childhood: All characters have “Common” (Betraland) as their Native Language.
6. Later Life: Skip this step. Farrani wizards do not have a “later life” period; their apprenticeships begin at age five, immediately after early childhood.
7. Hermetic Magi Only: Apprenticeship: Farrani wizards start with only 160 experience points from their ten-year apprenticeships. These points cannot be used to buy an Art rated higher than 10 or an Ability higher than 4.
Farrani characters must use some of these points to purchase the following minimum Ability Scores: Artes Liberales 1 (with the ability to read and write Karahzed), Dead Language: Karahzed 3, Magic Theory 1, Organization Lore: Farrani Corps 1, and Parma Magica 1. These Abilities, at these levels, cost a total of 50 experience points.
Farrani start with a score of zero in three Forms and in each of the five Techniques. Two of the Forms are dictated by school, as described below, the third being discretionary. They can purchase scores of zero in additional Forms at the cost of 10 experience points each.
Each character also has 80 levels of formulaic spells, each of no higher level than [Technique + Form + Intelligence + Magic Theory + 3] or level 20, whichever is lower.
8. Hermetic Magi Only: Years After Apprenticeship: The mechanics of this step are modified because of the new “seasoning” rules. For each season previously awarded in the campaign, new characters receive five additional experience points or five levels of formulaic spells. The character creation limitations described on this page apply to the maximum levels for Arts, Abilities, and spells. For every full four seasons awarded, the character starts with one pawn of vis of any kind. (At the start of the second story arc, 40 seasons have been awarded.)
8 (part two). Personality: Personality Traits are strong tools to assist you in portraying your character. This website has a lot of trait ideas if you’re having trouble thinking of some.
11. Equipment: Player characters can begin with any or all of the following: a non-descript green tabard, a dark green cloak, a suit of Lorica Faranus armor, a suit of quilted armor, a pistol or dragon, a musket or blunderbuss, a main-gauche, a rapier or saber, a wand or staff composed any one type of wood.
Farrani wizards have a school rather than a Hermetic house. The Corp’s application of the Aphelion Tradition divides its practitioners among five paths of magic. Gifted students are trained in a school to teach them a particular focus and philosophy. Farrani doctrine teaches that each school is critical to the structure, and thus the survival, of the Corps.
The Agonistica School specializes in pure applications of magic and fiery combat spells. They tend to avoid any pursuit that does not further their magical studies. An Agonistica on the field of battle can profoundly weigh the odds in favor of the Farrani, negating the advantage of superior numbers that sometimes come against the Corps. Agonistica are also best prepared to deal with the rare occasions of magical creatures that can threaten isolated townships.
- School Virtues: Agonistica have the Fast Caster and Life Boost Virtues without cost.
- School Forms: Ignem and Vim. Agonistica start with scores of “0” in these Forms (as well as one other of their choice), and can buy them higher with experience points.
- Suggested Abilities: Awareness, Concentration, Leadership, Finesse, Penetration.
- Suggested Personality Traits: Discerning, Focused, Violent.
The Drespila School is the smallest of the five. It teaches its students the arts of deception and guile, training them to tasks best not discussed in polite company. Their mastery over illusion and wind aids them in their role as spies, infiltrators, assassins, and thieves. Though distasteful in application, a single skilled student of the Drespila School can often succeed in matters where ranks upon ranks of the other schools’ students may fail.
- School Virtues: Drespila have the Puissant Intellego and Quiet Magic Virtues without cost.
- School Forms: Auram and Imaginem. Drespila start with scores of “0” in these Forms (as well as one other of their choice), and can buy them higher with experience points.
- Suggested Abilities: Athletics, Carouse, Guile, Legerdemain, Stealth.
- Suggested Personality Traits: Alert, Cunning, Empathetic (negative score).
The Lapicada School is very important in times of prolonged war. Their training methods emphasize defense and protection through brawny physique and military education. Lapicada combine the magical arts of earth and body providing a strong force of healers, armored warriors, and siege engineers. In times of peace, the Lapicada are instrumental in creating and expanding towns and building public works such as roads and aqueducts.
- School Virtues: Lapicada have the Cautious Sorcerer and Tough Virtues without cost.
- School Forms: Corpus and Terram. Lapicada start with scores of “0” in these Forms (as well as one other of their choice), and can buy them higher with experience points.
- Suggested Abilities: Brawl, Chirurgy, Great Weapon, Medicine, Profession (siege engineer).
- Suggested Personality Traits: Brave, Dependable, Stubborn.
Students of the Menata School are the messengers and ambassadors of the Farrani Corps. High-ranked Menata perform missions of diplomatic importance, while initiates ferry messages to far-flung townships and supplies for the Farrani outposts there. Versatile students are occasionally assigned permanent stations. The Menata School teaches mastery over minds and water.
- School Virtue: Menata have the Gentle Gift Virtue without cost. This does not count against the character’s limitation of having only one Major Hermetic Virtue.
- School Forms: Aquam and Mentem. Menata start with scores of “0” in these Forms (as well as one other of their choice), and can buy them higher with experience points.
- Suggested Abilities: Charm, Etiquette, Folk Ken, Profession (sailor), Swim.
- Suggested Personality Traits: Calm, Ingratiating, Overconfident.
The Venatora School teaches its students to revere the power of nature. Venatora serve as hunters and scouts. Their magical affinity with animals and plants makes them a boon to local farmers, ranchers, and shepherds. Venatora ensure that the land provides both bounty and safety for the Corps and for the citizens under its care.
- School Virtues: Venatora have the Animal Ken and Wilderness Sense Virtues without cost.
- School Forms: Animal and Herbam. Venatora start with scores of “0” in these Forms (as well as one other of their choice), and can buy them higher with experience points.
- Suggested Abilities: Animal Handling, Bows, Hunt, Ride, Survival.
- Suggested Personality Traits: Reserved, Outspoken (negative score), Practical.
The Miscere School is the largest by far, several times larger than all the other schools combined. It’s members are not Apheleon wizards, simply an eclectic group with minor magical talents. These are the “magi” typical of the Farrani Corps prior to the coming of the Fourth Age and the resurgence of true Apheleon magic. This house is not available to player characters.