The Farrani Corps
“Seasoning” is the process by which a person becomes seasoned or experienced. In this campaign, a “season” is an abstract unit of personal growth, awarded at regular periods by the Storyguide.
Advancement activities are described on pages 163-165. Additional miscellaneous modifiers apply to this system:
- Adventure experience is always 5 points.
- Just like spell mastery, practicing weapon mastery abilities is always a Source Quality of 5.
- Opening a new Form (giving it a score of zero) costs 10 experience points. These points can only derive from being taught, from studying vis, or from Virtues like Elemental Magic and Secondary Insight. To teach a Form that the student has not yet opened requires the teacher to have a score of at least 5 in the Form.
Assigning Seasons: Each player assigns an activity for each season received. This should reflect things done in that same session or, time permitting, activity immediately after.
An individual season is usually dedicated to a learning activity that provides significant advancement, or to a non-learning activity that provides incidental advancement. Seasons awarded at the same time (within the same session) cannot be assigned to the same Advancement activities, with the exception of Exposure. Nor can experience gleaned from any two seasons within the same block contribute to the same Art or Ability.
- The following activities cannot be repeated within the same block of awarded seasons: Adventure, Practice, Training, learning from Teaching, learning from Books, learning from Vis. A character can learn from Exposure without this restriction.
- No two seasons from the same session can contribute Experience Points to the same Art or Ability, even through advancement by Exposure.
- A character cannot apply more than one season from the same block to advancing the same individual laboratory project. Lab activities are only possible if the characters had access to a laboratory at some point (during the session for which the seasons were assigned) or during downtime immediately following it.